Get up and move – sitting kills!
I recently read this review published in May 2015 providing more evidence on the danger of prolonged sitting – worth a read if you have 10 minutes up your sleeve.
Here’s a few key points that I’ve taken from this and other studies that I’ve looked at about the effects of sitting/sedentary lifestyle on our health –
- When we sit we’re burning approximately 50% of the energy we would burn when standing
- Those who sit for longer tend to accumulate body fat more rapidly
- Higher risk of frailty in the elderly
- Higher risk of erectile dysfunction in men
- Association with high blood pressure
- Higher risk of depression
- Higher risk of a number of cancers
- Higher risk of cardiovascular disease
- Back and neck pain
Currently we sit for an average of 9.2 hours/day in the western world so your goal should be to to both decrease overall sitting time and break up bouts of prolonged sitting.