Prawns with cabbage, corn, mango & avocado salad
This is a fresh and light (yet satisfying) dish -it will also look great on your Christmas dining table so give it a go! The inclusion of corn in the salad adds a valuable source of carbohydrate providing a balanced meal. If you are not a prawn fan then try replacing with beef or even squid. Or, if you are like me and seem to have a small ocean of cooked prawns in your fridge over Christmas then this salad will accompany any left over prawns perfectly. Enjoy!
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 1/8 purple cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 yellow mango, sliced (look for a slightly firm mango rather than soft)
- ¼ cup smoked almonds, chopped
- ½ long red chilli, sliced
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cobs corn, kernels removed
- 1pinch salt
- 1 avocado, diced
- juice of 1 lime or lemon
- ½ bunch coriander, leaves picked
- 28 medium sized South Australian prawns, peeled and deveined
- Combine cabbage, mango, smoked almonds, spring onion and chilli in a bowl.
- Heat canola oil in a large non-stick pan over high heat. Add prawns and cook for 1-2 minutes each side or until cooked through. Once cooked, remove from the pan and place to the side.
- Add corn kernels to the pan the prawns were cooked in and cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden and tender. Just prior to serving, stir corn, avocado and lime or lemon juice through the salad. Top with coriander leaves and serve with prawns.
Nutrition Information (per serve):
Per serve – Energy:1451kj (347cal); Protein: 15.8g; Sodium:276mg; Fat:23.5g; Sat Fat:3.2g; Carbohydrate: 14.7g; Sugar:9.9g; Fibre: 7.7g
(Themis is an Accredited Practising Dietitian at Life Personal Trainers Hutt St Studio and Director of Sprout Cooking)